twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

Should smokers file a class-action lawsuit against state & federal government?

The government has made billions in tax revenue from the sale of cigarettes. Now many of us are addicted and have tried repeatedly to quit. They continue to tax cigarettes like crazy and ban smoking in many places.

In Iowa, the cigarette tax just went up $1.00 and it costs $4.85 for a pack of Marlboros.

Should we sue the government from profiting from our deadly addiction for so many years and then making it almost impossible to continue smoking? If so, on what grounds could we sue?
Answer:
Yeah. I'm with you part of the way. I smoke and I wouldn't sue because I can just quit. But there are lots of choices folks make daily that are unhealthy for them, it ticks me off to have some obese, alcoholic senator make the decision for me by ratcheting up the price to make himself look good participating in the latest witchhunt. Just wait 'til it is alcohol's turn. Makes me so mad I just gotta go grab a smoke to calm down.
No, we should ALL stop sueing everybody and take responsibility for ourselves and our health!
This is worse than the people that sue the cigarette companies because they smoke...
No one ever forced anyone to smoke. Furthermore, it says that smoking is bad for you right on the box.

I used to smoke, but quit. No one ever forced me to smoke.
Stop making Iowans sound stupid.
It's not the government's job to protect you from yourself.

Smoking is bad for you so you should quit. Your lack of will power isn't the government's fault.

The taxes are meant to discourage you from smoking, and most of the additional taxes where lobbied by people such as yourself.

You said yourself that they have made it "almost impossible to continue smoking". So don't you realize how insane your question is?
LOL. great question,I think hypocrisy is appropiate here.....I can see those senators now critizing the tobacco heads,asking them if cigarette smoking is addictive after raking in those billions of dollars................THEY COULD CARE LESS..........at least until that money is taken away from them...............
sue them ? my opion?
"negative discrimination". Automobiles have killed and maimed more people than all of the drugs: from cigarettes, pot, cocaine, heroin and so on... many, many more people killed and maimed by cars and they don't persecute the auto industry or those that support them like insurance companies, road building companies and so on. I really think the whole cigarette industry persecution happen because some one slept with some one wife too many times, ya know, or some old fart politician got some one's daughter pregnant.
No they shouldn't. They should quit smoking and stop imposing the ill effects of smoke on non smokers. I was a smoker for 24 years and have quit for 5 years now. I haven't felt better in my life.
How about a lawsuit for not banning sugar? So many of us have bad teeth because of sweets...
The non smokers outweight the smokers. That is why I quit. I felt defeated and just went cold turkey.

Forget it, you will loooooooose big
smoking is a luxury of life. for most smokers a stress reliever. you cant sue the federal government because you fell down a cliff while hiking. you paid taxes to use those hiking trails but you got hurt while doing it. you cant sue because you make a mistake. smoking is a decision and if you have health threats from smoking and are going to let "addiction of cigarettes" control your fate, you do not have the will to live and nothing can change that. i am a smoker. i know that i will pay for it later in life but really, what choice has generations of freeloaders and irresponsible people left me to live with? a global warmed and dying planet where gas costs 2.75 a gallon and my smokes cost double that and it is getting worse and worse by the business day. i need my killer cigs to live man. if weed is legallized i will seriously be on a truth commercial myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net